Improvements to Cycling and Walking Routes
Braunstone Town Council is working with Leicester City Council, Blaby District Council, Leicestershire County Council and Sustrans on a plan to jointly invest around £1.2million in a range of improvements to create a safer and more attractive route for pedestrians and cyclists between New Lubbesthorpe, through Thorpe Astley and Meridian, into Braunstone Town and on to the Great Central Way and Leicester City Centre.
The City Council led scheme is backed by over £600,000 of funding from the Leicester and Leicestershire Enterprise Partnership (LLEP) through the Leicester and Leicestershire Business Rates Pool fund. In addition, £450,000 funding has been secured from the Department for Transport’s Paths for Everyone scheme with our delivery partner Sustrans.
The proposals will involve a range of improvements to create a safer and more attractive route for pedestrians and cyclists through Braunstone Town, Thorpe Astley and Meridian as follows:
- Widening the footpath from 1.5m to 3m between the Murby Way and Foxon Way roundabouts
- Narrowing of road crossing distances at the roundabouts at Murby Way and Foxon Way to create safer crossings at these junctions
- Narrowing of the crossing distances at the northern arms of the 2 roundabouts over A563 Lubbesthorpe Way to help all users cross at these junctions
Meridian Leisure (which will be delivered as part of a project coordinated by its owners Savills)
- Signage improvements through the park for walkers and cyclists
- new access between Chiquito restaurant and Vue cinema onto Mossdale Meadows to allow users to to have a connected route between Meridian Way,Thorpe Astley and Mossdale Meadows, Braunstone Town
- CCTV enhancements
- Widening of the footpath from 1.5m to 3m, and vegetation clearance to improve visibility on blind corners to provide an enhanced pedestrian and cycle route
- lighting to be installed to create a more attractive and safer environment for all users
- additional CCTV installed
- Creation of new 3m footpath to allow easier access from the western to the eastern side of the Kingsway
- Widening of footpath from 1.5m to 3m in the vicinity of the Narborough Road South underpass
- Creation of new 3m path to provide improved access from the Kingsway to Aylestone Meadows
- Improvement to the existing boardwalk at Kingsway, to provide a better access to the Meadows for all users
- New 3.5m path across Aylestone Meadows, connecting onto existing track for pedestrians and cyclists
- Resurfacing of existing track to a width of 3.5m, up to Braunstone Lane East.
Town Council Leader, Councillor Nick Brown, stated “with our Climate Change & Environmental Strategy, the Town Council is committed to working with our partners across the City, District and County to deliver infrastructure improvements which will support our residents to safely walk and cycle both within our Town and beyond to access local facilities, services and employment”.
More information about this scheme and the other Transforming Cities Fund Projects in and around Leicester is available on Leicester City Council's website.
Work is due to begin in August 2022 and is expected to take around nine months to complete.