Councillors' Code of Conduct and Register of Interests
Braunstone Town Council as a public authority believes in promoting the highest standards in public life and therefore has adopted the 'Nolan principles', which are the basis of the ethical standards expected of public office holders:
1. Selflessness. Holders of public office should act solely in terms of the public interest.
2. Integrity. Holders of public office must avoid placing themselves under any obligation to people or organisations that might try inappropriately to influence them in their work. They should not act or take decisions in order to gain financial or other material benefits for themselves, their family, or their friends. They must declare and resolve any interests and relationships.
3. Objectivity. Holders of public office must act and take decisions impartially, fairly and on merit, using the best evidence and without discrimination or bias.
4. Accountability. Holders of public office are accountable to the public for their decisions and actions and must submit themselves to the scrutiny necessary to ensure this.
5. Openness. Holders of public office should act and take decisions in an open and transparent manner. Information should not be withheld from the public unless there are clear and lawful reasons for so doing.
6. Honesty. Holders of public office should be truthful.
7. Leadership. Holders of public office should exhibit these principles in their own behaviour. They should actively promote and robustly support the principles and be willing to challenge poor behaviour wherever it occurs.
The Members' Code of Conduct
In order to underpin these ethical standards and in accordance with the Localism Act 2011, the Council has adopted a Code of Conduct for Town Councillors (whether elected or co-opted), who required to abide by the code:
Members are required to notify the Monitoring Officer of any disclosable pecuniary interest and non-pecuniary interest within 28 days of election, adoption of the code, or becoming aware of any disclosable interest. The register of interest for each Town Councillor is published below:
- Cllr Anthea Ambrose
- Cllr Shabbir Aslam
- Cllr Ajmer Basra
- Cllr Parminder Basra
- Cllr Nick Brown
- Cllr Alex Dewinter
- Cllr David Di Palma
- Cllr Sam Fox-Kennedy
- Cllr Amanda Hack
- Cllr Sohan Johal
- Cllr Paul Kennedy
- Cllr Sam Maxwell
- Cllr Phil Moitt
- Cllr Satindra Sangha
- Cllr Tracey Shepherd
- Cllr Darshan Singh
- Cllr Christiane Startin-Lorent
- Cllr Imran Uddin
- Cllr Marion Waterton
- Cllr Robert Waterton