Consultation of proposed revised Equality & Diversity Policy & Procedure
The Town Council’s current Equality & Diversity Policy was adopted on 16th January 2014 and is essentially a staffing policy.
On 9th December 2020, the Council appointed a third-party investigator to review and report on the Council's handling of internal disputes and to report and make recommendations where appropriate. The independent investigator reported on 8th April 2021 with the following recommendations:
- “to review [the Council’s] Equality & Diversity Policy (last adopted in January 2014) and extend the principles and provisions in it to elected members”; and
- “to actively promote candidacy to disability groups and encourage people with physical and mental disabilities to take part in decision making as elected members”.
The Policy & Resources Committee agreed:
- “Draft revised Equality & Diversity Policy & Procedure to be considered by Policy & Resources Committee”; and
- “Revised Equality & Diversity Policy & Procedure to include process for requesting reasonable adjustments and references on how to raise complaints”.
Proposed Revised Policy & Procedure for Consultation
The proposed revised Equality & Diversity Policy & Procedure is intended to supersede the current 2014 Policy.
The main areas of change in the new policy & procedure are proposed as follows:
- incorporation of Councillors and volunteers into the remit, as well as staff;
- a section on the benefits of Equality and Diversity;
- information on the law and types of unlawful discrimination;
- application to service provision;
- a procedure for disabled Councillors, staff and volunteers to request reasonable adjustments;
- individual responsibilities; and
- references to making complaints and raising grievances.
The proposed policy & procedure is now available for consultation and comments and suggestions are being invited to ensure that it would be practical and fit for purpose.
Residents, customers, users, staff, Councillors, volunteers, stakeholders, partners and anyone who has an interest can submit comments.
The deadline for consultation comments is 12noon on Monday 8th August 2022.
The post consultation version of the Policy & Procedure will be submitted to Policy & Resources Committee, in September for consideration and adoption.